Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 2


Either the lady at the Ranger Station had her info wrong, or I dont know where I'm hunting? I got to the area behind West Fork Cabins and the roads looked fine and open? Lots of tire tracks all the way up the mountain?

I couldn't figure it out...?

...Being mister 'follow the rules' though, I parked and began walking up the mountain.

It didnt take long though before I began experiencing those familiar fat guy hiking issues all over again; shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, and discomfort from having parts of my body rub together that haven't in a while? As I stood to hyperventilate for the first of many times today, I glanced back and realised I hadn't even gone two hundred yards?

"Shit"!

I struggled on and eventually was convinced I'd gone "at least a mile"; when I heard something coming from behind and looked to see some old dude cruising along in an blue beater four-door Plymouth, and casually waved looking at me like the fool I was for walking?!

"you bastard"!

I went right back to my down to truck and said the hell with it, if he can I can too!

On the way back I was suprised too see 3 nice bulls with their horns in velevet, not huge yet of course antler-wise, but big bodied!? I hadnt brought camera on my little walk, so missed a shot; but was a neat encounter as they were less than fifty yards away; wind perfect and they never knew I was there.

The group of cows pictured above was in exact same place as bulls were earlier, but 8hours later on way out. Where ANY of them were hiding during season is the real mystery??



I found my 'meadows' as I remembered them, but after a two mile (very slow) walkabout on the logging road around it, and glassing them it from all sides; I headed back to look for greener pastures?

It seemed the higher I went the more brown it got and the lower was much lusher, so headed back down.

I walked up on this young moose and he let me take a dozen shots of him. It was very cool as he's the first one I've seen this year and only the second ever in Montana. While other folks see them quite regular I almost never do; so it was another neat encounter for the day!




I made mental note of the presence of several of these beeuties and while this one startled me a bit walking up beind me while I glassed the opposing slope; I didnt mind the visit.




Didnt see any bears this day, but whata gorgeous afternoon! Probably the nicest day I can recall in Montana? Not sure what it was, but I just felt great out there all alone and damn near was most of the afternoon, excpet a couple other guys hunting too.




I'm gonna hit it hard tomorrow too, even though after talking with two guys from Utah who have been there all week and seen no blacks, but two griz; I'm not discouraged...though am keeping my eyes peeled for the brown type?

I'm staying in Ennis tonight, here at cheap motel. I'll check back in tomorrow night and hopefully have had better luck on the bear hunt...as far as a better day though; its gonna be tough to beat!

Gorgeous...

Moe

_____________

No comments:

Post a Comment