Monday, November 21, 2011

"Elk and Deer be Damned,....we're going Bird Hunting..."

















With snow drifts up around their elbows:"..A Much deserved' Road Trip" was just what we all needed too I think...












"Good girl"!








And we found warmer climes and some success, in a certain favored corner of Southeastern Montana..

.............



But as things usually go with my spontaneoues plans; the next morning, following a great evening-hunt, was in fact a complete bust.





...........


So we headed elsewhere, and that afternoon things got much better!!













A nice find' for sure...


And a couple nice birds too..







"What's all the commotion about...!?"





Oh my God what a buck this fella took...




Tired and weary we pulled in for the night and slept at a random motel near Big Timber, Montana; before heading north the following day.
......


Anther day, another part of Montana...

















"Hey come back here with that"!







Great Falls, MT.
...............

Headed toward the Missouri Breaks..(I'm kinda chasing big deer too, but dont tell the girls..okay..?)









"SHIT" drove all this way and cant shoot a muley after the 13th?".
Being my nature I blamed Montana FWP again for having regs so convoluted in their bloody booklet then ever admit I was wrong damned it!?'...

"Bastages!"...



We road around to see what we could see anyway; even though I held no tags for elk in the region either.




"Looks like an easy climb doesn't it...in 4 wheel-drive.?" - This is what's commonly known as: 'a slide'.

- Until you're on one, you really have no idea what they are when folks' describe them; so I'll just let you find out once you get here...(and good luck)..

.



Let's just say I had to back-track over 22 miles.




We eventually settled in the old wasteland of Lewistown, MT (actually a pretty nice place except I have an unfortunate history here; I'd rather not dwell on..).




Suffice to say I still, after 3 years, dont feel too comfortable even being seen there in daylight...




So the next morning, as early as we could, we left that part of central Montana and headed for home' (chilly as it was)...









I knew of one good-spot though along the way, and let Suzie out to prove her skills on a few nice birds 'that always seemed to be there; when I needed them the most...'



...She did great on-point and then ran wild with her success; although I'm not sure she could even see where she was going at one point???...





Still no Huns for the effort on this trip, as their numbers in the two coveys we found were already well depleted and few. So we stuck with the sharptails and roosters that seemed more plentiful and came home with near a half-dozen of each.


At the conclusion of our 'road trip' Suzie seemed content, though looked toward the horizon and setting sun as if to say: "I hope this isn't the end of the season..?!'

So I gave her a scratch behind the ears and assured her it wasn't, and then reminded her..."we still have a whole month left to go..."


Moe
.

No comments:

Post a Comment