Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bulls are tending cows now...


... as the big group seems to have split up a bit...

This is good news actually; not so much for pictures but better for hunting. My hope is a few elk head back toward the public-areas I've pretty well scouted by now; and I might see one before gun openner with bow in-hand...

When I stopped to checkout the area they've congregated in the past two weeks all I saw were three bulls and a few cows (above); no sign or sound of the massive herd from just days before.

...
About a mile up the road I spied a tan hide moving thru the brushy hillside; so slowed to see what it was..?


..Two cows and a spike calf were feeding into the openning and right behind them was this guy.

He didn't stick around long, and even ran the young spike off; before tending his cows corralling them back deeper into the forest and out of sight.

Still, at this location it puts them less than two miles from public-access and moving in the right direction..
It's purely wishful thinking they might keep going and stumble back into public lands; though that's about the only strategy I have right now.

...

I'm off for the next two days, but with temps in the 80's here in Bozeman; I'm more likely to go fishing on the Yellowstone than hunting in the Bridgers, but still intend to stop up there one of the evenings to see what I see...

Check back; I'm sure I'll have more pics up by Wednesday..


Moe
.

No comments:

Post a Comment