Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Heavens Ranch...


I'm certain the second I wrapped the E-collar around Suzie's neck she knew not only where we were, but exactly her role in what was to come...


I'm also pretty certain my friend perfered the scenery to where he's been the last two years, but just kept it to himself mostly; and just smiled randomly thruout the trip...


Only moments after leaving the truck we were walking the fields of the BMA I've often referred to as 'Heavens Ranch'; as its similar to the actual name without giving away its location (XX). Its also without doubt the most scenic I've yet to come across and I've hunted near a hundred parcels statewide. The fact that it holds a nice population of birds doesn't hurt either and today we were in search of the the almighty sharptail...


Breathtaking indeed and even Szuie stopped several times to take in the view from up top..


Still birds rose and fell and shotguns sounded. Gun Powder filled the air first then my nose and even on the tongue if you weren't careful. Birds were brought to hand and high fives were shared. Pats on the soft head and scratches behind the ears were doled out in equal fashion for both girls doing their best.



Dogs, the best of them I'm certain dont fully understand our compliments or adjectives we use when describing their ability in either type or verbal; instead they simply are doing what they were designed to. They smile and laugh and let us stroke them when they're weak or tired. They're fully capable I'm sure and could outhunt the best of us; catching birds themselves on the stalk, if only given the chance.



The Field is theres'.... without them we'd wild flush everything we stumbled across but with that uniquely designed nose they possess we are foretold what is to come... We are warned where game lies to within mere feet and to get ready for the shot. In some instances were even told which species lie ahead, dependent on the past experience and bond between a particular dog and onwer.


When I saw Suzie working the cover in front my friend and I in this frame with the sun blinding as it set behind her; there was something in her actions and joyful movements it was simply a moment I'll never forget.
I think I just felt comfortable afield more than on any hunt before and deserving of owning such a great little bird dog; since I have very little else of monetary worth.

At that moment the trip was coming to a close and I knew it had to eventually, but didn't care what came next; whether we got another bird up or not. She and (Mocha) and I have lived Montana now going on two years and have enjoyed ourselves immensely.


We'd done it...Exactly as I'd imagined it would go; a few hiccups along the way sure, but we were now here in our third bird season afield - working in the outdoor industry once again - and content;...sharing it with close friends.



Life is good...


Moe.

No comments:

Post a Comment