Friday, November 19, 2010

Hunting pictures from last few days...



A little deer and elk hunting and just 'road hunting' mostly, due to very poor weather and consistent 60 mph winds..





Thats a very small figure of a man on the horizon (look closely); likely excatly what I appeared to be the elk; unimpressed - them living yearround in the same 'big country' at the time...


Twenty miles up by truck in 4x4 and I found soon myself trying to hike in 18" of fresh thick snow. Saw very few tracks, jumped two mule does, and finally headed back toward the truck thoroughly exhausted.


Still kinda beautiful in that 20 degree sort of way; especially when the sun peeked out on occasion. Not a mile from town on way back to motel, I spied a huge bull and five cows crossing in front of me so slowed down for a look-see. Too dark for pictures and of course on 'private land', but still neat to see!!


The next morning I passed on a small muley buck chasing does in front of me yet saw diddly as far as elk; so decided to explore a few more BMA's to add to my list. I spotted several spooky antelope and a couple mule deer (the latter hiding in the safety-zone); and even a few birds; but the storm was upon me so I decided against it and just kept driving...




Even the Huns found shelter in nontraditional places to beat the wicked winds and I let them be; considering I was without dogs on this leg of the trip; but made mental note (and a few scribbles in my journal) as to their precise location; in hopes of returning once again next month when I'm in the area.



On the way up these behemoths were still, but not 30 minutes later they were moving so fast I thought one might just come off and slice thru my truck!!



Great place for 300 windmills as it rocked my rig so bad I would have thought it a Florida Hurricane. Bad placethough for a hunter - bird, deer, antelope, or otherwise...(more notes taken; as to time of year/forecast)..


Even resevoirs on state lands were white-capping so I headed home to pick up the girls from boarding...


I'm not sure if they thought I'd put them in there because they were bad or something, but both were complete angels on the way home; and pointed every bird and car that flew by.

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind for elk hunting this week; so think I'm pretty much done with that endeavor. Instead, I'm bringing the girls with and were headed back toward familiar ground "Crow Res" next week. Gonna give this mule deer buck one more go around Hardin. And knowing the pheasant population as well as some winter coverts well (all 3 of us); I'd be a fool to leave them behind...

Moe
.

3 comments: